Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Under pressure

After having to wait an extra week because the lab didn't draw enough blood for all the tests.....I finally have a diagnosis. The lab called while I was on vacation in San Fransisco to tell me I needed to come back in and have the additional blood draw. I took care of that on Monday after we got home. The doctor's office called me to schedule my follow-up and they told me the one test the lab didn't get done takes 10 days to run. You'd think they could have run that one and skipped something that didn't take as long to process!!!

Anyhow, I finally saw the doctor and all the labs were normal, as was the chest x-ray. The diagnosis? Excess pressure in my spinal fluid is creating my headaches. WTF??? It's just some strange thing that happens to some women, usually those who are overweight. He gave me a prescription to take to help lessen the pressure and advised me to lose weight. He felt he didn't need to take a lumbar pucture to verify the diagnosis unless I really wanted him to. Yeah, I'll pass. His opinion is based on looking into my eyes (with a really bright light) and seeing that my optic nerve is flat. Apparently having this pressure in your head places pressure on your eyes as well and can cause a loss of vision. Great...lose weight or go blind. Well, I guess I have some serious dieting to do and some major incentive. I'm also thinking an appointment with my eye doctor is in order.

2 comments:

Angie said...

We will lose weight together...I really need to anyways and now I have an incentive too. :)

/hugs

O'Malley said...

I've heard of no pleasuring yourself or you'll go blind, but no fries or you'll go blind?? that's a bummer :(